Fortinet and Nozomi Networks Secure Industrial Control Systems Through Joint Partnership
Patrice Perche, senior executive vice president, Worldwide Sales and Support, Fortinet
“The cybercrime world is expanding with each passing day and has led to a growing threat for global critical infrastructure systems. The convergence of IT and critical infrastructure requires operators and government agencies to apply robust security solutions that can scale and accommodate the complex interactions between IT and physical processes within these environments. Together with Nozomi Networks, we are providing the most complete Security Fabric designed to support the full range of industrial installations bringing seamless protection to critical infrastructures worldwide.”
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT), the global leader in high-performance cyber security solutions, and Nozomi Networks, a leading provider of real-time visibility and advanced monitoring capabilities for industrial networks, are collaborating to provide a new and innovative security solution for Industrial Control Systems (ICS).
- Nozomi’s SCADAguardian and Fortinet’s Security Fabric deployed together provide ICS customers with comprehensive cybersecurity protection, from real time anomaly detection to swift corrective action.
- SCADAguardian non-intrusively detects anomalies and suspicious behavior in the ICS network and alerts Fortinet’s FortiGate enterprise firewalls to block the suspicious traffic, optimizing industrial operational efficiency by preventing system downtime and data loss.
- Fortinet’s Security Fabric is an intelligent and adaptive architecture designed to deliver distributed security for protections against threats from the Internet of Things (IoT) and remote devices, through the infrastructure core, and into the cloud. It also enables the implementation of end-to-end segmentation and other innovative security strategies for comprehensive threat protection to help industrial customers protect their critical assets across the expanding attack surface.
- Fortinet’s Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) framework enables dynamic generation of local threat intelligence and automated response coupled with FortiGuard services for global threat intelligence protections.
Andrea Carcano, founder and CEO of Nozomi Networks
“When you combine Nozomi Networks’ non-intrusive anomaly detection with Fortinet's in-line enforcement and network segmentation capabilities, the integrated solution enhances visibility and security beyond what each product could do on its own. This collaboration provides our joint customers with a comprehensive and proactive SCADA security solution enabling them to deploy the most robust ICS security solution on the market today.”
Unparalleled Combination of Detection and Security for Critical Infrastructure
Research indicates that critical infrastructure organizations are under a state of constant cyberattack. As these attacks get more sophisticated and increase in frequency, infrastructure operators from utility companies, transportation groups, natural resource producers, and more, must solve security gaps that will continue to grow wider over time.
In part, this is a consequence of the inevitable convergence of Operational Technology (OT) with Information Technology (IT), leaving industrial control systems (ICS) exposed to the same security breaches experienced by IT networks. However, while the impact of a security breach on most IT systems is limited to financial loss, attacks on ICS have the added potential to destroy equipment, threaten national security, and even endanger human life.
Much of the underpinning technology of ICS, while extremely robust and reliable, was never designed to be accessible from remote networks. Solving ICS security issues requires a holistic approach that unifies the best of current IT network security capabilities with an extensive understanding of ICS processes and protocols.
Industrial customers will benefit from the combination of Fortinet’s extensive cybersecurity infrastructure expertise and Nozomi Networks’ deep understanding of ICS networks, protocols and device behavior. Together, Nozomi Networks and Fortinet will help industrial customers to better protect their critical assets from both cybercriminals and employees that unintentionally leave ICS systems vulnerable.
- Fortinet’s Security Fabric enables granular security policies that can be enforced based on criteria such as user identity, application, location, and device type.
- FortiGate’s end-to-end segmentation capabilities implemented throughout the ICS network can provide greater visibility and scale to large ICS deployments making them even more secure.
- Fortinet’s Advanced Persistent Threat Protection Framework detects and analyzes advanced attacks that might bypass more traditional signature-based defenses.
- FortiGate’s rugged next-generation firewalls are built to withstand the extreme temperatures, harsh climates and hazardous locations that are common in remote ICS environments.
- Nozomi SCADAguardian is a network monitoring and protection solution developed specifically for ICS. An integrated discovery and learning capability for ICS, it facilitates the creation of tailored security profiles and automatically detects critical anomalies. Additionally, underlying industrial processes are constantly monitored at the deepest level through an innovative Industrial Virtual Image Technology.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) secures the largest enterprise, service provider, and government organizations around the world. Fortinet empowers its customers with intelligent, seamless protection across the expanding attack surface and the power to take on ever-increasing performance requirements of the borderless network - today and into the future. Only the Fortinet Security Fabric architecture can deliver security without compromise to address the most critical security challenges, whether in networked, application, cloud or mobile environments. More than 270,000 customers worldwide trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Learn more at http://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet Blog, or FortiGuard Labs.
About Nozomi Networks
Nozomi Networks is a leading provider of real-time visibility, advanced monitoring capabilities, and strong security for industrial control networks supporting critical infrastructure. Built by a team of industrial SecOps, Nozomi’s SCADAguardian appliances inspect industrial networks non-intrusively and apply machine-learning technology to provide unique insight into the topology, devices, and behaviors present in it. Customers of Nozomi are able to detect anomalies, malfunctions, and suspicious activities caused by malicious insiders or cyber-attacks. Nozomi has been deployed in some of the largest industrial installations, providing some of the fastest return-on–investment in the industry. For more information visit: http://www.nozominetworks.com
Copyright © 2016 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and unregistered trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet's trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiManager, FortiMail, FortiClient, FortiCare, FortiAnalyzer, FortiReporter, FortiOS, FortiASIC, FortiWiFi, FortiSwitch, FortiVoIP, FortiBIOS, FortiLog, FortiResponse, FortiCarrier, FortiScan, FortiAP, FortiDB, FortiVoice and FortiWeb. Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, nothing herein constitutes a warranty, guarantee, binding specification or other binding commitment by Fortinet, and performance and other specification information herein may be unique to certain environments. This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve uncertainties and assumptions, such as regarding sites expected to open and timing. Changes of circumstances, product release delays, or other risks as stated in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, located at www.sec.gov, may cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in this press release. If the uncertainties materialize or the assumptions prove incorrect, results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Fortinet assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.