Fortinet Receives Recommended Rating in Latest NSS Labs NGFW Report, Delivers High SSL Performance Suited for Encrypted Cloud Access
John Maddison, SVP of products and solutions, Fortinet
“Third-party testing and validation from organizations like NSS Labs helps customers choose the best security solution that offers effectiveness, performance and optimal total cost of ownership. Underscoring our commitment to providing customers with superior technology and performance, Fortinet transparently publishes SSL inspection performance numbers proving that Fortinet delivers a compelling SSL-ready cloud access next-generation firewall for successful cloud adoption and SD-WAN deployments. Customers can feel confident in choosing our solutions because they have objectively received some of the highest marks in the industry.”
Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT), a global leader in broad, integrated and automated cybersecurity solutions, today announced its results from NSS Labs’ annual Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) Group Test. In this year’s test, Fortinet’s FortiGate 500E Next-Generation Firewall, achieved 99.31 percent overall security effectiveness and low total cost of ownership. NSS Labs continues to evolve the NGFW test methodology to meet the most demanding customer requirements. This is the fifth consecutive year Fortinet received a “Recommended” rating, proving FortiGate has the right combination of security, performance and value to handle today’s most demanding workloads.
- High SSL Inspection Performance: Fortinet’s FortiGate Next-Generation Firewall delivered high SSL inspection performance with minimal performance degradation and showed efficacy across all 32 cipher suites and emergent ciphers tested by NSS Labs. Combined, Fortinet delivers a highly effective SSL-ready cloud access NGFW, and we stand by our solutions by transparently publishing SSL inspection performance numbers.
- Unparalleled Protection Against Evasive Threats: FortiGate blocked 100 percent of evasions and once again excelled at preventing known and unknown threats with an overall security effectiveness rating of 99.3 percent.
- NGFW Price/Performance (Total Cost of Ownership): Fortinet excelled in price/performance for NGFW among all 10 participating vendors. In fact, the FortiGate 500E was rated by NSS at 6,753 Mbps, which is higher than our own rating of 5,200 Mbps.
- Broad Coverage of Enterprise Deployments: Fortinet has been recommended in eight different NSS Labs group tests in the last year ranging from network security, end-point, breach detection and web application firewall.
The Top NGFW Choice for Secure SD-WAN and Cloud
With the adoption of Cloud and SaaS applications, SSL (encrypted) traffic has risen significantly. In fact, NSS Labs predicts that around 75 percent of total enterprise traffic will be encrypted by 2019. To successfully compete in today’s marketplace, organizations can’t afford to compromise business performance for security. That’s why it’s essential that organizations select a next-generation firewall solution that combines high SSL inspection performance with high accuracy. The results from the 2018 NSS Labs NGFW Group Test prove that Fortinet delivers the right combination of SSL inspection performance and accuracy in detecting both known and unknown threats, providing a modern solution that keeps up with the pace of any cloud deployment. In addition, Fortinet delivers a future-proof use case for the enterprise branch that combines NGFW security and SD-WAN together, enabling SSL inspection at the branch for direct internet access to SaaS applications.
In addition, this year’s NSS Labs NGFW Group Test shows that Fortinet delivers one of the highest overall security performance and low total cost of ownership of all participating vendors, further solidifying the FortiGate Next-Generation Firewall as a compelling balance of security, performance and value.
Fortinet Delivers a Security Fabric Built Around NSS Labs-Recommended Solutions
Fortinet solutions consistently demonstrated superior security effectiveness, advanced features and superior performance when put to the test. Fortinet’s commitment to testing and validation has resulted in Fortinet solutions earning NSS Labs "Recommended" ratings across eight different group tests:
- Data Center Intrusion Prevention Systems
- Data Center Security Gateway
- Breach Prevention Systems
- Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System
- Breach Detection Systems
- Next-Generation Firewall
- Web Application Firewall
- Advanced Endpoint Protection
All of Fortinet’s NSS Labs-recommended solutions are designed to interoperate as part of a holistic security architecture through the Fortinet Security Fabric, producing a powerful, integrated end-to-end security solution across the entire attack surface.
“Not only was the security effectiveness of the FortiGate strong in the NSS Labs 2018 NGFW Group test, its total cost of ownership and SSL performance numbers were very impressive. Based on this year’s test results, the FortiGate Next-Generation Firewall should be considered by any company looking to deploy an NGFW.”
- Vikram Phatak, chief executive officer of NSS Labs
- Read more about Fortinet’s 2018 NSS Labs NGFW Test Results in the blog.
- Learn more about the FortiGate Next-Generation Firewall and NSS Labs Report results here.
- Read more about the Fortinet Security Fabric and the Third Generation of Network Security.
- Visit Fortinet’s FortiGate Next-Generation Firewall homepage to learn more about this advanced security solution.
- Sign up for the weekly FortiGuard Threat Intelligence Briefs and the FortiGuard Threat Intelligence Service.
- Follow Fortinet on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) secures the largest enterprise, service provider, and government organizations around the world. Fortinet empowers its customers with intelligent, seamless protection across the expanding attack surface and the power to take on ever-increasing performance requirements of the borderless network - today and into the future. Only the Fortinet Security Fabric architecture can deliver security features without compromise to address the most critical security challenges, whether in networked, application, cloud or mobile environments. Fortinet ranks #1 in the most security appliances shipped worldwide and more than 340,000 customers trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Learn more at https://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet Blog, or FortiGuard Labs.
Copyright © 2018 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and common law trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet's trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiCare, FortiManager, FortiAnalyzer, FortiOS, FortiASIC, FortiMail, FortiClient, FortiSIEM, FortiSandbox, FortiWiFi, FortiAP, FortiSwitch, FortiWeb, FortiADC, FortiWAN, and FortiCloud. Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, nothing herein constitutes a warranty, guarantee, contract, binding specification or other binding commitment by Fortinet or any indication of intent related to a binding commitment, and performance and other specification information herein may be unique to certain environments. This news release may contain forward-looking statements that involve uncertainties and assumptions, such as statements regarding technology releases among others. Changes of circumstances, product release delays, or other risks as stated in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, located at www.sec.gov, may cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in this press release. If the uncertainties materialize or the assumptions prove incorrect, results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Fortinet assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.