Comunicado de prensa
Fortinet Reports Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results
Second Quarter 2021 Highlights
- Total revenue of $801.1 million, up 30% year over year
- Product revenue of $298.3 million, up 41% year over year
- Service revenue of $502.8 million, up 24% year over year
- Billings of $960.9 million, up 35% year over year1
- Deferred revenue of $2.91 billion, up 27% year over year
- GAAP operating margin of 18.4%
- Non-GAAP operating margin of 25.4%1
- GAAP diluted net income per share of $0.82
- Non-GAAP diluted net income per share of $0.951
- Cash flow from operations of $418.2 million
- Free cash flow of $394.7 million, a Fortinet quarterly record1
Fortinet® (Nasdaq: FTNT), a global leader in broad, integrated and automated cybersecurity solutions, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2021.
“We delivered our highest quarterly billings growth in over five years, led by the Americas and EMEA regions, while continuing to invest across our product portfolio,” said Ken Xie, Founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer. “Fortinet’s customers are seeing the value in our holistic platform approach, which delivers integrated and automated security across a company’s on-premise network, endpoints, and cloud edges. We are pleased with our strong business momentum heading into the second half of the year and are delighted to once again raise full-year revenue and billings guidance.”
Financial Highlights for the Second Quarter of 2021
- Revenue: Total revenue was $801.1 million for the second quarter of 2021, an increase of 29.7% compared to $617.6 million for the same quarter of 2020.
- Product Revenue: Product revenue was $298.3 million for the second quarter of 2021, an increase of 40.8% compared to $211.9 million for the same quarter of 2020.
- Service Revenue: Service revenue was $502.8 million for the second quarter of 2021, an increase of 23.9% compared to $405.7 million for the same quarter of 2020.
- Billings1: Total billings were $960.9 million for the second quarter of 2021, an increase of 35.1% compared to $711.5 million for the same quarter of 2020.
- Deferred Revenue: Total deferred revenue was $2.91 billion as of June 30, 2021, an increase of 26.7% compared to $2.29 billion as of June 30, 2020.
- GAAP Operating Income and Margin: GAAP operating income was $147.5 million for the second quarter of 2021, representing a GAAP operating margin of 18.4%. GAAP operating income was $118.8 million for the same quarter of 2020, representing a GAAP operating margin of 19.2%.
- Non-GAAP Operating Income and Margin1: Non-GAAP operating income was $203.3 million for the second quarter of 2021, representing a non-GAAP operating margin of 25.4%. Non-GAAP operating income was $170.3 million for the same quarter of 2020, representing a non-GAAP operating margin of 27.6%.
- GAAP Net Income and Diluted Net Income Per Share: GAAP net income was $137.5 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to GAAP net income of $113.8 million for the same quarter of 2020. GAAP diluted net income per share was $0.82 for the second quarter of 2021, based on 167.1 million diluted weighted-average shares outstanding, compared to GAAP diluted net income per share of $0.69 for the same quarter of 2020, based on 165.4 million diluted weighted-average shares outstanding.
- Non-GAAP Net Income and Diluted Net Income Per Share1: Non-GAAP net income was $158.7 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to non-GAAP net income of $136.6 million for the same quarter of 2020. Non-GAAP diluted net income per share was $0.95 for the second quarter of 2021, based on 167.1 million diluted weighted-average shares outstanding, compared to $0.83 for the same quarter of 2020, based on 165.4 million diluted weighted-average shares outstanding.
- Cash Flow:Cash flow from operations was $418.2 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to $247.0 million for the same quarter of 2020.
- Free Cash Flow1:Free cash flow was $394.7 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to $216.1 million for the same quarter of 2020.
For the third quarter of 2021, Fortinet currently expects:
- Revenue in the range of $800 million to $815 million
- Billings in the range of $940 million to $960 million
- Non-GAAP gross margin in the range of 77.5% to 78.5%
- Non-GAAP operating margin in the range of 24.5% to 25.5%
- Diluted non-GAAP net income per share in the range of $0.90 to $0.95, assuming a non-GAAP effective tax rate of 21%. This assumes a diluted share count of 169 million to 171 million.
For the fiscal year 2021, Fortinet currently expects:
- Revenue in the range of $3.210 billion to $3.250 billion
- Service revenue in the range of $2.045 billion to $2.075 billion
- Billings in the range of $3.870 billion to $3.920 billion
- Non-GAAP gross margin in the range of 77.0% to 79.0%
- Non-GAAP operating margin in the range of 25.0% to 27.0%
- Diluted non-GAAP net income per share in the range of $3.75 to $3.90, assuming a non-GAAP effective tax rate of 21%. This assumes a diluted share count of 168 million to 170 million.
These statements are forward looking and actual results may differ materially. Refer to the Forward-Looking Statements section below for information on the factors that could cause our actual results to differ materially from these forward-looking statements.
Our guidance with respect to non-GAAP financial measures excludes stock-based compensation, amortization of acquired intangible assets and gain on intellectual property matter. We have not reconciled our guidance with respect to non-GAAP financial measures to the corresponding GAAP measures because certain items that impact these measures are uncertain or out of our control, or cannot be reasonably predicted. Accordingly, a reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to the corresponding GAAP measures is not available without unreasonable effort.
1A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading “Non-GAAP Financial Measures”.
Conference Call Details
Fortinet will host a conference call today at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss the earnings results. The call can be accessed by dialing (877) 303-6913 (domestic) or (224) 357-2188 (international) with conference ID # 7026909. A live webcast of the conference call and supplemental slides will be accessible from the Investor Relations page of Fortinet’s website at https://investor.fortinet.com and a replay will be archived and accessible at https://investor.fortinet.com/events-and-presentations. A replay of this conference call can also be accessed through August 5, 2021 by dialing (855) 859-2056 (domestic) or (404) 537-3406 (international) with conference ID # 7026909.
Third Quarter 2021 Virtual Conference Participation Schedule:
- Oppenheimer’s 24th Annual Technology, Internet & Communications Conference
August 10, 2021
- KeyBanc Capital Markets’ Technology Leadership Forum
August 11, 2021
- 2021 Colliers Institutional Investor Conference (Investor Relations Only)
September 9, 2021
Members of Fortinet’s management team are expected to present at these conferences and discuss the latest company strategies and initiatives. Fortinet’s conference presentations are expected to be available via webcast on the company’s web site. To access the most updated information and listen to the webcast of each event, please visit the Investor Relations page of Fortinet’s website at https://investor.fortinet.com. The schedule is subject to change.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) secures the largest enterprise, service provider, and government organizations around the world. Fortinet empowers our customers with complete visibility and control across the expanding attack surface and the power to take on ever-increasing performance requirements today and into the future. Only the Fortinet Security Fabric platform can address the most critical security challenges and protect data across the entire digital infrastructure, whether in networked, application, multi-cloud or edge environments. Fortinet ranks #1 in the most security appliances shipped worldwide and more than 500,000 customers trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Both a technology company and a learning organization, the Fortinet Network Security Expert (NSE) Training Institute has one of the largest and broadest cybersecurity training programs in the industry. Learn more at https://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet Blog, or FortiGuard Labs.
Copyright © 2021 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and common law trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet's trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiCare, FortiManager, FortiAnalyzer, FortiOS, FortiADC, FortiAP, FortiAppMonitor, FortiASIC, FortiAuthenticator, FortiBridge, FortiCache, FortiCamera, FortiCASB, FortiClient, FortiCloud, FortiConnect, FortiController, FortiConverter, FortiDB, FortiDDoS, FortiExplorer, FortiExtender, FortiFone, FortiCarrier, FortiHypervisor, FortiIsolator, FortiMail, FortiMonitor, FortiNAC, FortiPlanner, FortiPortal, FortiPresence , FortiProxy, FortiRecorder, FortiSandbox, FortiSIEM, FortiSwitch, FortiTester, FortiToken, FortiVoice, FortiWAN, FortiWeb, FortiWiFi, FortiWLC, FortiWLCOS and FortiWLM.
Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, nothing herein constitutes a warranty, guarantee, contract, binding specification or other binding commitment by Fortinet or any indication of intent related to a binding commitment, and performance and other specification information herein may be unique to certain environments. This news release may contain forward-looking statements that involve uncertainties and assumptions, such as statements regarding technology releases among others. Changes of circumstances, product release delays, or other risks as stated in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, located at www.sec.gov, may cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in this press release. If the uncertainties materialize or the assumptions prove incorrect, results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Fortinet assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.