What Is IoT Security?
IoT security is the act of securing Internet of Things devices and the networks they’re connected to. In the business setting, IoT devices include industrial machines, smart energy grids, building automation, plus whatever personal IoT devices employees bring to work.
What are the Biggest Challenges?
IoT devices were not built with security in mind. In the majority of cases, there is no way to install security on the device itself. In addition, they sometimes ship with malware on them, which then infects the network they are connected to.
Some network security doesn’t have the ability to detect IoT devices connected to it and/or the visibility to know what devices are communicating through the network.
How can today's requirements be addressed?
IoT security can only be accomplished with an integrated solution that delivers visibility, segmentation, and protection throughout the entire network infrastructure, such as a holistic security fabric approach.
Your solution must have the ability to:
- Learn: With complete network visibility, security solutions can authenticate and classify IoT devices to build a risk profile and assign them to IoT device groups.
- Segment: Once the enterprise understands its IoT attack surface, IoT devices can be segmented into policy-driven groups based on their risk profiles.
- Protect: The policy-driven IoT groups and internal network segmentation enable monitoring, inspection, and policy enforcement based on the activity at various points within the infrastructure.
How Fortinet Can Secure IoT?
IoT devices are being deployed into networks at a phenomenal rate, up to 1 million devices each day. While IoT solutions are enabling new and exciting ways to improve efficiency, flexibility, and productivity, they also bring a new risk to the network. Frequently designed without security, IoT devices have become a new threat vector for bad actors to use when launching attacks. We have already seen several attacks leveraging these distributed, seemingly innocent devices.
To provide protection in the age of IoT, network operators need to have the tools and skills to:
- See and profile every device on the network, to understand what IoT devices are being deployed
- Control access to the network, both connecting to the network and determining where devices can access
- Monitor the devices on the network to ensure that they are not compromised and to take automatic and immediate action if they are
Fortinet provides these capabilities through our Network Access Control (NAC) product, FortiNAC. Fully integrated into the Security Fabric, FortiNAC delivers the visibility, control, and automated response needed to provide security in a world of IoT devices.