Fortinet Reports Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Revenue of $311.4 million, up 30% year over year
- Billings of $373.8 million, up 26% year over year1
- GAAP diluted net loss per share $0.01
- Non-GAAP diluted net income per share of $0.141
- Cash flow from operations of $67.9 million
- Free cash flow of $53.5 million1
- Cash, cash equivalents and investments of $1.22 billion
- Deferred revenue of $904.0 million, up 37% year over year
SUNNYVALE, Calif. - July 28, 2016 - Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT), a global leader in high performance cyber security solutions, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2016.
“We are pleased with our billings and revenue over performance and ability to meet our expense and profitability targets while still investing for growth,” said Ken Xie, founder, chairman and chief executive officer. “The threat landscape and network architectures are evolving and shifting to integrated end-to-end platforms, which is the vision Fortinet was founded upon. Our strong innovation and ability to provide a seamless, tightly-integrated and intelligent Security Fabric that protects all points in the network - from IoT to cloud - positions us well for continued growth and share gains in 2016 and beyond.”
Financial Highlights for the Second Quarter of 2016
- Revenue: Total revenue was $311.4 million for the second quarter of 2016, an increase of 30% compared to $239.8 million in the same quarter of 2015. Within total revenue, product revenue was $136.6 million, an increase of 19% compared to $114.8 million in the same quarter of 2015. Service revenue was $174.8 million, an increase of 40% compared to $125.0 million in the same quarter of 2015.
- Billings1: Total billings were $373.8 million for the second quarter of 2016, an increase of 26% compared to $297.2 million in the same quarter of 2015.
- Deferred Revenue: Total deferred revenue was $904.0 million as of June 30, 2016, an increase of $66.8 million compared to $837.2 million as of March 31, 2016.
- Cash and Cash Flow: As of June 30, 2016, cash, cash equivalents and investments were $1.22 billion, compared to $1.19 billion as of March 31, 2016. In the second quarter of 2016, cash flow from operations was $67.9 million compared to $84.3 million in the same quarter of 2015. Free cash flow1 was $53.5 million during the second quarter of 2016 compared to $73.5 million in the same quarter of 2015.
- GAAP Operating Income or Loss: GAAP operating loss was $4.0 million for the second quarter of 2016, representing a GAAP operating margin of -1%. GAAP operating income was $3.0 million for the same quarter of 2015, representing a GAAP operating margin of 1%.
- Non-GAAP Operating Income1: Non-GAAP operating income was $36.0 million for the second quarter of 2016, representing a non-GAAP operating margin of 12%. Non-GAAP operating income was $29.3 million for the same quarter of 2015, representing a non-GAAP operating margin of 12%.
- GAAP Net Income or Loss and Diluted Net Income or Loss Per Share: GAAP net loss was $1.4 million for the second quarter of 2016, compared to GAAP net income of $0.8 million for the same quarter of 2015. GAAP diluted net loss per share was $0.01 for the second quarter of 2016. GAAP diluted net income per share was break-even for the second quarter of 2015.
- Non-GAAP Net Income and Diluted Net Income Per Share1: Non-GAAP net income was $24.0 million for the second quarter of 2016, compared to non-GAAP net income of $19.4 million for the same quarter of 2015. Non-GAAP diluted net income per share was $0.14 for the second quarter of 2016, compared to $0.11 for the same quarter of 2015.
1 A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Conference Call Details
Fortinet will host a conference call today, July 28, 2016, at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss its financial results. To access this call, dial (877) 303-6913 (domestic) or (224) 357-2188 (international) with conference ID # 25654626. A live webcast of the conference call and supplemental slides will be accessible from the Investor Relations page of Fortinet's website at http://investor.fortinet.com and a replay will be archived and accessible at http://investor.fortinet.com/events.cfm. A replay of this conference call can also be accessed through August 4, 2016, by dialing (855) 859-2056 (domestic) or (404) 537-3406 (international) with conference ID# 25654626.
Following Fortinet's financial results conference call, the Company will host an additional question-and-answer session at 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time (6:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to provide an opportunity for financial analysts and investors to ask more detailed questions. To access this call, dial (877) 303-6913 (domestic) or (224) 357-2188 (international) with conference ID # 25664452. This follow-up call will be webcast live and accessible at http://investor.fortinet.com, and a replay will be archived and available after the call at http://investor.fortinet.com/events.cfm. A replay of this conference call will also be available through August 4, 2016 by dialing (855) 859-2056 (domestic) or (404) 537-3406 (international) with conference ID # 25664452.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) secures the largest enterprise, service provider, and government organizations around the world. Fortinet empowers its customers with intelligent, seamless protection across the expanding attack surface and the power to take on ever-increasing performance requirements of the borderless network - today and into the future. Only the Fortinet Security Fabric architecture can deliver security without compromise to address the most critical security challenges, whether in networked, application, cloud or mobile environments. More than 270,000 customers worldwide trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Learn more at http://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet Blog, or FortiGuard Labs.
Copyright © 2016 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and unregistered trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet's trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, FortiGate, FortiGuard, FortiManager, FortiMail, FortiClient, FortiCare, FortiCloud, FortiAnalyzer, FortiReporter, FortiOS, FortiASIC, FortiWiFi, FortiSwitch, FortiVoIP, FortiBIOS, FortiLog, FortiResponse, FortiCarrier, FortiScan, FortiAP, FortiDB, FortiVoice and FortiWeb. Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, nothing herein constitutes a warranty, guarantee, binding specification or other binding commitment by Fortinet, and performance and other specification information herein may be unique to certain environments. This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve uncertainties and assumptions. Changes of circumstances, product release delays, or other risks as stated in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, located at www.sec.gov, may cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in this press release. If the uncertainties materialize or the assumptions prove incorrect, results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Fortinet assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.